Saturday 9: I Dream of Jeannie Theme (1965)
If you’re not familiar with today’s song, you can hear it here.
1) Jeannie was memorably discovered on the beach in an ornate bottle. Have you ever brought a souvenir home from the beach? (It doesn’t have to be a genie. A shell or a stone will do.)
The time has come for people to learn the truth about me (actually I’ve mentioned it before that I’m a collector of everything and it shouldn’t come as a surprise any more). I’ve been collecting stones and shells from all beaches I’ve been to (I would only take those that are bigger and have strange forms). I also collected sand from Geelong Beach, Australia.
2) Major Anthony Nelson, the man who released Jeannie from her bottle, was an astronaut. When you were a kid, did you dream of being an astronaut when you grew up?
Not, as far as I remember. I think it’s more of an American thing that children are so fascinated with astronauts. I wanted to become an archaeologist because of a TV show I was watching, Tutenstein.
3) Upon discovering Jeannie, Major Nelson’s first wish was that she could speak/understand English so they could communicate. If you found a genie, what would your first wish be?
That he/she would be freed from the lamp.
4) Major Nelson’s best friend was fellow astronaut Major Healey. Where did you meet your best friend?
5th grade. We were in the same class.
5) This theme song was written by Hugo Montenegro, who is better known for the music he wrote for a pair of Clint Eastwood movies (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and A Fistful of Dollars). Do you have a favorite Clint Eastwood movie?
I’m going to have to say I haven’t watched a single movie with or made by him. I think I’ll watch Gran Torino and I’ll definitely watch J. Edgar.
6) The last episode of the series was titled, “My Master, The Chili King.” What ingredients make up your favorite chili recipe?
I don’t make chili, don’t know what ingredients are needed nor I eat it so often.
7) Jeannie was played by Barbara Eden, who was born in Tuscon, Arizona. Summer in Tuscon can get very hot, with the mercury often reaching 100 F°. What’s your favorite season?
I prefer late spring, when the weather gets warmer, but not too warm, when the days start getting longer and it’s not raining.
8) Anthony Nelson was played by Larry Hagman, who went on to play the villainous JR on the popular Dallas. Can you think of anything else Dallas is known for?
Dallas Buyers Club. That’s all I can think of.
9) In the autumn of 1965, just weeks after I Dream of Jeannie premiered, St. Louis’ famous Gateway Arch was completed. An estimated 4 million tourists visit the Arch every year. Do you have any summer vacation plans?
I’m going on a class trip to Croatia for a week, 2 weeks in Romania alone and a week in Spain with the family.