The Star Spangled Banner, as sung by Whitney Houston. (from the archives)
1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
My parents’ generation was the last that had compulsory years of military training. Other than that, we’ve got a family friend that went to Afghanistan to train police officers.
2) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What’s your favorite picnic food?
I’ve never done a traditional ‘the-way-you-see-in-movies” kind of picnic. We do a lot of barbecues and my favourite food would be grilled zucchini.
3) Let’s celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What’s your favorite flavour? Cone or cup?
Chocolate in cup.
4) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you rode a bike?
Pff… Last summer I think.
5) Or went hiking?
2012 in Turkey. I’m not really into hiking.
6) Or rode a horse?
7) Or toasted a marshmallow?
I can’t remember. My mum doesn’t like them, so we don’t buy them for a bbq.
8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?
No. There are only 24°C (75°F) and I think it’s even colder in my room. As I put on a sweater I can see my neighbour from across the road preparing to get in the pool.
9) Crazy Sam needs your help: What song or a performer would you like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer? You’ll begin seeing your suggestions as Saturday 9 themes in mid-June. Thanks!
Backstreet Boys, Avril Lavigne, Justin Timberlake, P!nk, Charlie Puth… etc.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and good weather!