Thank you Sam for this week’s song pick. I didn’t know the song, but it got me hooked and I’m sure I’ll be listening to it often.
Saturday 9: Mama (2015)
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) Gamal Lewis got the nickname “LunchMoney” in 10th grade because of his round cheeks and because lunch was his favorite part of the school day. What do you recall about lunchtime in the school cafeteria?
As mentioned before, I still go to school and I eat in the cafeteria 3-4 times a week. The most I apreciate that they serve fresh and cooked meals.
2) His father and uncle were members of the band Inner Circle. Their song, “Bad Boys” was the theme to the reality show Cops. What reality show have you seen recently?
I don’t watch any reality shows, but “Your Face Sounds Familiar” (Romanian version) would be the closest to a reality show.
3) In this song, Mr. Lewis sings that his mama taught him how to put on pyjamas. What did you wear to bed last night?
A t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants.
4) He claims he can’t ever lie to his mama because she’ll hear it in his voice. Are you a convincing liar?
Not to my parents. No one else has ever told me to my face that they knew I was lying .
5) LunchMoney sings that his mama made him chicken soup when he was sick. Do you eat soup all year around, only during winter months, or just when you’re battling a cold?
My mum makes soups all year around; potato, beans, chicken and more. Always eat it with onions or peppers.
6) The lyrics tell us that when her son was hungry, Mama reliably whipped something up. What’s the last food you prepared?
A dessert with apples and biscuits.
7) He also sings that his mama always made sure he had a few dollars in his pocket. Let’s talk about you and money. Did you more recently lend or borrow it?
Since I started working a few months ago, I haven’t had the need to borrow money, so I’d answer lend.
8) Mother’s Day is for grandmothers, too. Sam grew up calling her grandmother “Grandgran.” Did you have a nickname for your grandmother?
On my father’s side, Grandma (also Romanian version) and on my mother’s side ‘Mamaia’ (you can’t really translate the word).
9) To celebrate Mother’s Day, Sam is giving away her own mother’s favorite candy: Hershey Bars. Would you prefer milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate with almonds?
Milk chocolate ‘yum-yum’